By William Shakespeare
Adaptation by Vanessa Morosco and Peter Simon Hilton
Directed by Vanessa Morosco
The Notre Dame Shakespeare Festival Professional Company returns in summer 2023 with Hamlet 50/50, a world premiere adaptation of one of Shakespeare's greatest tales. This unique new production model is designed to create a more balanced and equal company of cast and crew members alike. Hamlet 50/50 performs in the Patricia George Decio Theatre in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center from August 17-27, 2023.
One of Shakespeare’s most iconic tales, this powerful tale of a Danish prince torn apart by forces both natural and supernatural continues to resonate with audiences worldwide. Intense, gripping, and ultimately extraordinarily moving, Hamlet 50/50 is a compelling examination of a spirit in crisis.
PRESS & MEDIA:
- "Notre Dame Shakespeare Festival Premieres HAMLET 50/50, August 17," BroadwayWorld, 7/17/23
- "Notre Dame Shakespeare Festival happening in August," 95.3MNC, 7/18/23
- "Shakespeare at Notre Dame to present ‘Hamlet 50/50,’ a new gender-balanced adaptation of the play," Notre Dame News, 8/14/23
- "Notre Dame Shakespeare Festival opens 'Hamlet 50/50' at DeBartolo Performing Arts Center," South Bend Tribune, 8/15/23
- The 50/50 Shakespeare Project (official website)
- Q&A: "Hamlet 50/50" and The 50/50 Shakespeare Project
- Blog Entry: "Hamlet 50/50 and the Workplace of Shakespeare" (7/25/23)
- Blog Entry: "Function and Freedom: The Costume Design of Hamlet 50/50" (8/2/23)
- Blog Entry: "Setting the Scene: The Scenic Design of Hamlet 50/50" (8/10/23)
- George Azcarate: First Player (Player King) / Claudius & Polonius Understudy
- Becca Ballenger*: Horatio
- Madeline Calais*: Ophelia
- James Cullinane: Reynaldo / Priest / 2nd Guard / Ghost / Laertes Understudy
- Tommy Favorite: 1st Guard / 2nd Gravedigger / Ghost / Hamlet Understudy
- Joe Foust*: Polonius
- Melíza Gutierrez: Susanna / 2nd Ambassador / Ghost / Horatio Understudy
- Peter Simon Hilton*: Claudius
- Xavier Edward King*: Hamlet
- Colleen McLinden: Maria / 2nd Player / Ghost
- Timothy Merkle: First Gravedigger / 3rd Player / Messenger / Ghost
- Gabriel Ozaki: Laertes
- Christina Randazzo: 1st Ambassador / Master of Fence / Ghost / Ophelia Understudy
- Justine C. Ryan: Osric / 4th Player / Ghost
- TayLar*: Gertrude
- Liz Zimmerman: Gentlewoman / 5th Player / Ghost / Gertrude Understudy
* This artist appears through the courtesy of Actors’ Equity Association, the Union of Professional Actors and Stage Managers in the United States.
NOTE: All performances are in Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
- Tuesday, August 15, 7:30 p.m. (Preview)
- Wednesday, August 16, 7:30 p.m. (Preview)
- Thursday, August 17, 6:00 p.m. (Opening Night Celebration), 7:30pm (Opening Night Performance)
- Friday, August 18, 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 19, 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, August 20, 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 22, 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 23, 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 24, 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, August 25, 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 26, 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, August 27, 2:00 p.m.
Tickets: $10-$75. Student, faculty, and senior discounts available. Group rates also available; contact the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center Box Office at 574.631.2800 for details.